Days 1 - 3: On arrival at Maun International Airport, you will be met and assisted through to your light aircraft transfer to Jack's Camp.
Jack's Camp (3 nights)
Jack’s Camp is located in Botswana’s Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, the remnants of an enormous super-lake that used to cover most of Southern Africa. Jack Bousfield himself described the area as the 'savage beauty of a forgotten Africa' and truly, the Makgadikgadi is like nowhere on earth. It’s a landscape of space and remoteness, and the spectacular, otherworldly vistas, unique desert wildlife, and old-world glamour of Jack’s Camp all come together to create an experience that is unlike any other on the continent.
Built as an homage to his father, Ralph, his son, and his partner Catherine built Jack's Camp in 2003, in a traditional East African 1940’s safari style. During the wet season, the landscape transforms. Clouds of Flamingos and other migratory birds descend the heavens to decorate the watery grasslands. Herds of zebra and wildebeest materialise, drawn by the lush grass. Of course, one of the main attractions is to be able to walk through the Kalahari with a gang of habituated but, wild meerkats.
Year-round activities at Jack's Camp:
- Get up close and personal with our habituated meerkats.
- Discover the secrets of the pans with the Zu’Hoasi Bushmen on a fascinating bushwalk.
- Take game drives and night drives in custom-built 4x4s to spot the unique desert wildlife that inhabits the pans, like the elusive brown hyena or Kalahari lion.
- Enjoy a visit to the site of the historic Chapman’s Baobab. Once one of the three largest trees in Africa and a national monument of Botswana.
- Enjoy game drives in the Makgadikgadi National Park during longer stays.
- Go on a thrilling helicopter flip.
- Embark on an adventurous horseback safari (for all levels of riders; additional charge applies, but one two-hour safari is included if staying for three nights or longer). Multi-day riding safaris are also available for experienced riders.
- After an afternoon exploring the Kalahari desert, enjoy a refreshing sundowner while watching the sunset over the pans.
Dry season (1st April – 31st October):
- Take an exhilarating quad bike across the salt-crusted pans.
- Lie out on the pans just before nightfall and watch the planetarium of stars unfold above you.
- Hunt for stone tools in the crusty salt flats of the enormous Sowa Pan.
Green season (1st November – 31st March):
- Witness the second largest migration of zebra and wildebeest in Africa (and it’s also the last remaining one in Southern Africa).
Xigera Safari Lodge (3 nights)
Days 4 - 6: You will be driven from Jack's Camp Airstrip to catch your light aircraft flight to Xigera Safari Lodge in the Moremi Game Reserve.
Xigera is our love letter to the magic of the African bush. Every aspect is handcrafted to beguile our guests’ senses and stir their souls – from the evocative interiors to one-of-a-kind encounters.
Transformed by Africa's life-enhancing beauty, it is a story of remarkable renewal. Of rebirth and family legacy, and of the pioneering spirit that drives us to seek out Africa’s wild spaces. The same spirit that inspired this remarkable reimagining, perhaps a complete reinvention, of an Okavango Delta safari.
This is Xigera (pronounced ‘kee-jera’), named for the Pied Kingfisher that makes its home amid the watery channels of Botswana’s Moremi Game Reserve. The culmination of a lifelong dream of the Tollman family, drawing on six decades of devotion to unparalleled luxury in service.
Activities at Xigera Safari Lodge:
- Morning and afternoon game drives.
- Walking safaris.
- Seasonal fishing.
- Helicopter rides (at extra cost).
See more activities at Xigera here.
On day 7, you will be transferred to the Xigera airstrip for your light aircraft transfer back to Maun International Airport.
If you have any questions or would like to make a reservation enquiry, please contact us via a method below.
South Africa Tollfree: +27 87 743 2388
UK Tollfree: 08000 321 973
USA Tollfree +1 (866) 944 3728